Dim lights. Pounding basslines. Crowds of dancers. For people looking for variety and excitement in their evening options, nightclubs offer a bit more activity than your standard bar.
Whether there are DJs, live acts, or visiting comedians, nightclubs can pretty much sell themselves if owners think outside of the box with their promotions.
Bar Business Plan Template
Use this free bar business plan template to easily create a great business plan that organizes your vision and helps you start, grow, or raise funding for your bar.
What is a Nightclub Promotion?
Nightclubs thrive off customer engagement. A solid nightclub special rewards attendees for coming out and choosing the club as their place to party.
How to Construct an Effective Nightclub Promotion
There are five questions to ask yourself while putting together your new nightclub special. Each one can help you create a promotion that reaps major benefits.
1. What’s been working lately? Have the house totals at the end of each night been consistently good? Does one event stick out, or have specific nights performed better? Lean into the good stuff and build promotions from there.
2. What’s the customer feedback been like? Feedback doesn’t always need to be formal surveys or write-ups. Your staff hears things while working that they can relay back to you and use, be it good or bad. Give people more of what they’ve been asking for.
3. What will the promotion look like? Getting the word out efficiently and effectively is critical. How you publicize your special will depend a lot on the demographics of your attendees. If it skews younger, aim for Top-40 radio stations and platforms like Instagram or TikTok.
4. What can you afford? Financial risk comes with the territory. Settle on something that maximizes appeal while minimizing monetary investment.
5. What will that mean for staff? Look at past specials that compare to the new promotions you’re developing to determine staffing needs.
How Should I Budget for My Nightclub Promotion?
Make sure you have a budget to pay your people and get the word out.
DJs, comedians, and musicians need appropriate compensation. So balance their asking price with their ability to draw crowds. The more traffic that comes through the door, the greater the tipping potential and overall profit.
The 10 Best Nightclub Promotion Ideas
1. Guest Entertainer: Hire a headline act to get people excited.
Example: If someone buys a ticket to an upcoming attraction before a certain date, they get a discounted drink ticket.
2. Group Rates: Be the spot for large get-togethers and group celebrations.
Example: Offer discounted bottle service for groups of a certain number who make a reservation.
3. Product Launches: Invite a local brewer or distiller to your club and provide discounted samples of their wares.
Example: Have shot providers circle the dance floor or the tables offering free samples of their featured drink.
4. Competitions: A good giveaway or contest with a great prize can also get people in the door.
Example: Sponsor a dance competition or marathon where the winner receives discounted drinks or food.
5. Talent Showcases: Great careers have begun doing nightclub work.
Example: Put on an open mic night, with the winner getting discounted services or the chance to come back and continue building a following.
6. Weeknight Specials: Give the “it’s a work night” crowd something to think about.
Example: A simple “$2 Tuesday” or “Thirsty Thursday” deal could be just the thing to get them out of their houses and onto the floor.
7. Special Corporate Events: Be the place local companies want to go to ring in milestones and celebrate.
Example: Offer discounted prices for companies to set up parties and events in your space.
8. Charitable Gatherings: Donate nightly earnings to a charity or organization of your choice.
Example: Donate $1 from each drink sold on any night to a charity or school program.
9. Underage Nights: Kids want to party, too! Open your doors up for a fun underage celebration.
Example: Run regular nights each week or month for high school children or under-21 guests.
10. Holiday Celebrations: Open your doors to Christmas clubbers and anyone else wanting to celebrate the special day.
Example: Run a discounted night on the day before Thanksgiving, one of the biggest bar nights of the year.
How to Measure the Effectiveness of Your Promotions
All these ideas can be a shot in the dark, so how do you know if you’ve succeeded?
Increased attendance is a start. It shows that your nightclub promotion has legs.
Increased attendance should translate to increased profits at the gate and money for everyone. Money spent is a good indicator that you’re onto something in terms of your specials. Another indicator? Agreed-upon goals. Look at how you do the first week of any special, then build your goals from there.
Are you doing better than you were before? Set the targets higher! Are you dropping in performance? Ground your goals a bit more, then figure out what you can do to get back to your target. Monitor, then make decisions. It’s that simple.
Time to Start the Party
Specials and promotions can make your nightclub stand out from venues just by focusing on music and atmosphere. Create promotions that show you know and understand your audience. There’s nothing better than becoming the most exciting nightclub in town.
Related Nightclub Resources
Is this article helpful?
DISCLAIMER: This information is provided for general informational purposes only, and publication does not constitute an endorsement. Toast does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of any information, text, graphics, links, or other items contained within this content. Toast does not guarantee you will achieve any specific results if you follow any advice herein. It may be advisable for you to consult with a professional such as a lawyer, accountant, or business advisor for advice specific to your situation.