DISCLAIMER: This content is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting, tax, HR, or other professional advice. You are responsible for your own compliance with laws and regulations. You should contact your attorney or other relevant advisor for advice specific to your circumstances.
As the economy reopens and social gatherings begin again, there’s never been a better time to start a brewery business. Especially once we ease into spring and summer…warm weather drives crowds to breweries in droves!
One of the first steps in building your brewery business is choosing the right name. It’s the name that will be attached to your branding and your marketing, eventually leading people to your business. That means it has to be a name you like, and one that represents your business effectively.
Here are four major steps for identifying the right name for your brewery, as well as ideas to further inspire your new business venture.
How do I choose a brewery business name?
It all starts with brainstorming. Here's how to jumpstart the restaurant name idea generating process:
- Write down your vision for your brewery business, focusing on its mission and core values
- Make sure your brewery business name isn’t already taken
- Play around with a name generator to spark new ideas
- Reach out to your community for name ideas
What are good brewery business names?
A great brewery company name should be unique to your business. It should stick in the minds of your patrons, reminding them of your brand and personality.
Your brewery business name also needs to reflect what goods and services you offer. It should be simple to remember as well as spell, so that potential patrons can easily find you on Google or social media.
1. Write down your vision for your brewery business
Start thinking about your mission statement, which will need to describe who you are, why you’re here, and what you plan to accomplish as a new enterprise in your community. These details will all be a major influence on your business’ name.
Then use this exercise to get your creative juices flowing.
Grab a pen and paper and write down the following:
- The kind of beer and food you’ll be offering
- Your core values and mission
- The personality and vibe of your brewery
- Adjectives you’d use to describe your brewery
- Your name (and the name of your business partners, if any)
- Any family names that are important to you
- The neighborhood or town where it’ll be located
The purpose of this exercise is to pull out words and phrases that describe your brewery business, which could make up part or all of its name.
When you run out of things to add, go back and read over your list of words and phrases, circling your favorites. These will be the building blocks for your brewery business name.
A brewery can be a dream come true for any beer-loving entrepreneur. Here's what it takes to open one.
2. Choose a name that isn’t already taken
Needless to say, it’s important to make sure your intended name doesn’t already exist. Once you've settled on a handful of name contenders, run each one through the following resources to ensure they aren’t already in use by existing businesses.
- Google search
- Google My Business
- The Yellow Pages
- The Better Business Bureau
- The United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark database search
Be thorough with your research, as copyright infringement can be very costly, especially for a brand new business. To learn more about copyright infringement, visit Copyright.gov.
3. Use a name generator to spark new ideas.
To get through writer’s block, name generators are an excellent tool to inspire different word combinations you hadn’t considered before.
Some generators ask for guidance in the form of keywords, while others simply assemble random combinations of words. No matter the generator, it’s good to have your keyword shortlist on hand.
Sure, some of the suggested names and combos will be unusable. But, they’ll still help you determine what you like and what you don’t! Plus, you may just find the perfect brewery business name in your results, making name generators worthy of trying out.
Brewery Business Name Generators to Use
- Namelix Restaurant Name Generator
- Buzztime Restaurant Name Generator
- Fantasy Name Generators' Restaurant Name Generator
- Business Name Generator
- Kopywriting Kourse Restaurant Name Generator
4. Reach out to your community for brewery business name ideas
Most people who start breweries aspire to create something special for their community. One way to do this is by involving them from day one.
Asking your community to help you pick out a name is a fantastic way to build a relationship with them, and will help them get excited for your launch.
Reach out through social media. Using strategic posts and engagement, you can ask community members to vote on which name they like best.
To build traction around your social media post, consider including a raffle, giveaway, or future discounts to those who participate. Get creative with this! The more unique and special your offer, the more likely people will contribute their ideas.
26 Real Brewery Business Name Ideas to Inspire You
Taking inspiration from successful businesses is never a bad idea. These names can help you identify your theme and style. Do you want your name to be cute? Catchy? Funny? No matter what route you’re trying to go, these brewery business names can help you generate more ideas.
Here are 26 of the best brewery business names around the country:
Creative Brewery Business Names
1. 21st Amendment Brewery & Restaurant – San Francisco, CA
2. HopSquad Brewing Co – Austin, TX
3. Big aLICe Brewing – Long Island City, NY
4. The Slice & Pint – El Segundo, CA
5. Save the World Brewing Company – Marble Falls, TX
Unique Brewery Business Names
6. Idle Hands Craft Ales – Malden, MA
7. Speakeasy Ales & Lagers – San Francisco, CA
8. The Alchemist – Stowe, VT
9. Ladyface Ale Companie – Agoura Hills, CA
10. Smog City Brewing Company – Torrance, CA
11. Magic Hat Brewing Company – South Burlington, VT
12. Parleaux Beer Lab – New Orleans, LA
13. SweetWater Brewing Company – Atlanta, GA
14. Three Weavers Brewing Company – Inglewood, CA
Rhyming or Alliterative Brewery Business Names
15. Earth Eagle Brewings – Portsmouth, NH
16. The Bronx Brewery – New York City, NY
17. The Grateful Gnome Sandwich Shoppe & Brewery – Denver, CO
18. Top Hops – New York City, NY
19. Bootstrap Brewing – Denver, CO
20. Boomtown Brewery – Los Angeles, CA
21. Bruz Beers - Denver, CO
22. Bluebonnet Brewery – Round Rock, TX
Funny Brewery Business Names
23. Mighty Squirrel Brewing Co. – Waltham, MA
24. ThirstyBear Brewing Company – San Francisco, CA
25. Evil Twin Brewing – New York City, NY
26. Infamous Brewing Company – Austin, TX
Brewery Name? Check.
Once you’ve chosen your name, it’s time to take the next steps towards success. That means building your business plan and plotting the path forward. Soon enough, you’ll be pouring pints for the whole town.